Saturday 6 August 2011

My Confession

My name is The Working Parent and I bribe my children.

There I said it, I bribe my children.  Bribery was never an intentional method of discipline it just kind of happened.

It all started with treats after dinner.  Usually these treats were healthy ones like yoghurts or grapes but nowadays they seem to be more along the chocolate theme.  My children will always behave if chocolate is offered.  I feel bad about this.  Not least because of the amount of goodies they eat but also because I don't want them to grow into adults thinking that you only do things when you get something in return.

Life just doesn't work that way!

As they are only five and three I figure they are still young enough to be re-trained (if that is the right way of putting it!) but how on earth do I go about it?

I am sure there is many a domestic goddess tutting and thinking that I am a dreadful mother but I am reliably informed that the majority of parents use bribery at some point and probably more often than they care to admit.  In the run up to Christmas how many times have you said "If you don't behave Father Christmas (or Santa - whatever your preference is) will not come"?

Ha!  I knew I was not alone!

If you have any suggestions as to how I can get myself out of this rut or any confessions you would like to make let me know.

4 comments:

  1. Gosh you are far from alone. Bribery keeps me sane. That and wine....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most definitely not alone! I don't think there are many parents who can honestly say they never bribe their kids. At least five times a day, lol.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bribery is the best policy. Especially if you're short of time and have lost the will to live.

    I had Santa app on my phone where I could put them on the naughty/nice list. There were tears. Worked a treat.

    ReplyDelete

Let me have your thoughts!